Sunday 14 October 2012

Asian-style cooking

Photobucket
After a few months of sandwiches and wraps and salads, I finally realised that while our home pantry may not have lots of Western herbs/seasoning like thyme, basil, oregano, tarragon (I have all of them in bottles but still trying to figure out what goes with what sort of ingredients, it's truly a nightmare resulting in dubious food sometimes) but my mom has an impressive stock of Asian seasoning like fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce in all variations, abalone sauce, rice wine vinegar, etc, so I experimented.

I adapted a recipe from the BBC Good Food Asia magazine for the bowl above, a mixture of soba (they asked for rice noodles but I don't have and don't like it), leftover baby spinach, mixed vegetables, firm tofu and last minute bacon addition or else the picky little sister wouldn't eat it. While I failed at cooking tofu (looks nice but lacking in taste, damnit), the noodles were amazing because of the soy sauce and sesame oil!!! Didn't know the sauces would make such a great different but... omg totally in love with sesame oil.

Photobucket
Ok here's a Korean side dish of soya bean sprouts (finally found the right kind of bean sprouts in NTUC, everywhere else including the wet market my mom goes to only sell the regular bean sprouts, meh) with sesame seeds. Don't know why my mom has roasted sesame seeds in the fridge but she does, and totally made this a success. Again, soy sauce and sesame oil!!! So I snacked on this while watching tv shows yum. That's all for the gluton side of my life, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment